Hello!! We’ve had this cactus for about a year now, a friend had gotten the clippings off of his main cactus and give us some of them and the big boy is the only survivor, but I really want him to be able to grow more and get little buddies! Any tips? (Ps I have no clue what kind of cactus it is)
Some basic cactus care:
– full sun. cacti can handle all day sun with enough watering, but they may need to be protected from the strong, midday light
– gritty soil. your mix should contain at LEAST 50% grit (such as perlite, pumice, turface, lava rock, crushed gravel, etc.).
– you can either mix a granular fertilizer into the soil every spring, or you can use a water soluble fertilizer diluted by ½ every few weeks during the growing season.
– water deeply during the summer, but let the soil dry out between waterings.
– gradually stop watering during the fall, and stop completely in winter.
– keep the cactus in a cool/cold but not freezing location over the winter. don’t water it until spring. it might look sad, but it’s fine!
– gradually start to water the cactus around mid-spring. by summer time you should be deeply watering again.
Aaaaaaand that’s pretty much all you need to keep your cactus happy. They’re very easy to care for once you get the basics down. ☺️